Resources for People Who Have Lost Their Job
If you’ve lost your job, it’s important to know that there’s help available — but what exactly is that help?
We’ve compiled a list of resources in Canada to use when unemployed to get you through the break.
When you’ve been laid off, it’s important to make a plan for your finances and secure income, be it through government assistance or a severance package. These resources can help you do just that.
- Employment Insurance (EI): https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/apply.html
- Ontario Works: https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/ow/
- Financial planning and budgeting: http://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/BC-CB/NetInc-RevNet-eng.aspx
- Help dealing with debt: https://fullerdebt.com
This is a good time to evaluate your future career options. You can search for a new job, explore further education, or even consider starting your own business. These resources will help you decide what route to take.
- Job Search
- Employment Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/employment-ontario
- Ontario Public Service Jobs: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Jobs.aspx
- ca: https://www.indeed.ca
- Agilec: https://agilec.ca
- LinkedIn Jobs: https://ca.linkedin.com/jobs
- YMCA Employment Services: http://ymca.ca/What-We-Offer/Employment-Services
- Second Career
- Second Career in Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/second-career. Apply for up to $28,000 for costs.
- Bridge Training (continue working in your profession or career if you’ve been trained in another country): https://www.ontario.ca/page/work-your-profession-or-trade
- Find employment and training services in Ontario: http://feats.findhelp.ca/eng/search.html
- Continuing Education
- Adult learning: https://www.ontario.ca/page/adult-learning
- Contact North online learning: https://studyonline.ca
- Adult and continuing education resources from the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation: https://www.osstf.on.ca/resource-centre/curricular-materials-and-classroom-resources/adult-and-continuing-education-resources.aspx
- Futurpreneur Canada: https://www.futurpreneur.ca/en/
- Canada One: https://www.canadaone.com
- Government of Canada Services for Small Businesses: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/csbfp-pfpec.nsf/eng/la03285.html
Being laid off can take an emotional toll. It can be hard to put what happened behind you. These resources can help you find a counsellor to talk to for help moving forward.
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA): https://cmha.ca
- Government of Ontario Adjustment Advisory Program: https://www.ontario.ca/page/adjusting-after-job-loss
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy: http://talkingcanhelp.ca
Fuller Financial Solutions can help you navigate a layoff. Contact us today for a free consultation. Call 416-927-7200 or visit www.fullersolutions.ca.